Saturday, January 1, 2011

Stepping Stones

I can hardly believe how fast time goes. Time is such a wonderful gift, along with agency. We live in a world where a brand new start happens every single day, not just at the new year. We have thousands of choices, big and small, of how we are going to spend this time - this precious time given to us.
I've been thinking a lot about goals and new years resolutions. January comes and most people review and reflect on their past year. They desire change and resolve to do better during the course of the coming year. Hence the 'new year's resolution' tradition. Our motivation is strong throughout January and February, and perhaps March. Excuses are made in April and May and perhaps forgotten about by June and July. By December I'm sure we don't even remember what we had resolved to do in the first place.
I suppose it depends on the goal and how motivated we are.
How can we stay motivated throughout the year? How can we make our goals into good habits that stay in place all year round?
I propose that first we need to have a good attitude. Be positive! We have a brand new year a head, full of promise, full of hope, full of change, and full of good - if you choose.
Instead of first creating a list of things you want to do, make a list of things you want to change. What bad habits have you formed throughout the year? What things stand in your way of becoming what you desire? What are you filling your time with that can be eliminated?
Then replace them! Replace the bad habits with a good habit.
We all have big goals, and hey, why not? Dream big! Your potential is endless. However, that is how we burn out our motivation so quickly.
Dream big, but plan small.
It's ok to set smaller goals first. Take smaller steps. Progress. Don't bite off more than you can chew. Don't run farther than you have strength. Don't create such a massive goal that will end up being more of a massive problem.
Don't disappoint yourself.
What smaller goals can I set for myself that will help me to reach my ultimate goal?
How will I keep myself motivated?
Will I keep a chart? Will I track my progress? Will I have a friend keep me in check?
I think writing things down, posting it where you can always see it, making yourself fully accountable, and perhaps sharing your goal with a friend who is going to help you become what you seek, are going to be the best ways to help you stay motivated.
1. Stay Positive
2. Stay Motivated
What is going to work for you?
I hope that 2011 will be a year to remember, not just for the good times, but also for the things that we will learn about ourselves, those around us, and the world around us.
And as we seek to obtain our fullest potential through making it across these stepping stones call goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment