Friday, December 31, 2010

A Brand New Year

I woke up one morning a few days ago to my sister telling me "Score! You have made it to one score!"
Me: "What are you talking about?"
"One score means twenty years silly."
I knew that.
What do you know? I went to bed last night a teenager and woke up in my twenties.
My back is sore just thinking about it. I'm old.
What a great day though. Lovely breakfast of chocolate chip waffles (my favorite) and then mostly relaxing and running a few errands here and there.
And did I mention the lovely surprise of roses delivered to me? They sure are lovely..
Spaghetti for dinner and chocolate, chocolate chip cupcakes with cream cheese filling were definitely on the menu.
I made a wish and blew out my white candle on my cute, delicious cupcake.
We always have cupcakes on my birthday.
That's what I love about a December birthday, you are already home for Christmas so you get a bonus. Birthday spent with the family? Heck ya.
Lets see what else have I been up to...
I helped my little brother apply for college.
*sniff* my widdle brother is going to college... maybe he will go to LDS Business College with me in the summer! That would be fun...
I went for a bike ride today.
Ah you would love Texas in December...
I wore a jacket, although one wasn't needed.
Kicked the stand up. Brushed the old seat off. Gripped the handle bars. On my way.
I adjusted the gears as I peddled down the street.
It was everything a bike ride should be.
Breezy, but not windy.
Warm, but shady.
Peaceful, but not silent.
Long, but not exhausting.
Scenic, but still in the same old neighborhood.
I need to do that more often.
I love being home. Not much to do, but when you crawl into bed at night and think through your day you say 'hey, I did some pretty fun stuff today.'
I painted my sister's nails with the color of their choice and painted their faces blue with a face mask I had brought home.
Family movies and games.
Shopping and running errands with mom.
Reading books.
StarCraft with my younger brother. (Don't judge me)
Playing the piano. (Oh piano, how I have missed you!)
My sister plays the viola and my youngest sister is just learning to play the violin. I played the violin for eight years and finally gave her my violin to use. They both put on a little performance for me accompanied by mom on the piano. They play well.
Picture taking for sure is always a must.
I can't believe I forgot my swim suit! Ah! What are we going to do on New Years day?!
I have also been working on things for my calling for when I get back to Utah.
I received a scholarship! I have truly been blessed! I also received a response about a job I applied for; pray for me!
I have reflected on my past year. Wow this was certainly a year to remember; both the very best of memories yet, and some of the worst and troublesome times. My year has been filled with difficult decisions and tears of frustration. Struggle is a part of life, the Lord allows us to struggle so that we can learn to rely on him and build stronger faith.
I have learned so much about children as I worked over the summer. I can't wait to be a mother some day..
I've learned about fathers: about the kind of father that I have and the kind of father figure I want in my future home.
I have learned much through my schooling, many subjects that I have both enjoyed and endured trough.
I have learned to try new things and explore; breaking out of my shell a little here and there. New friends make for new experiences, as well as new choices.
My calling has certainly taught me more than words can ever describe. I can only hope to become better over the next semester and more diligent. I want to reach my fullest potential, and that means putting in my full effort.
My year has also been full of wonderful and happy memories. My sister was married! My best-sister. I haven't lost a sister though, I have gained a brother. What a wonderful example he is and what a wonderful example she continues to be for me.
New friendships have been made, and the old friendships stay ever stronger.
I feel like I have learned so much about myself: about the kind of person that I am, that I tend to be, that I want to be, and how to become what I seek.
I have learned how to think. I have learned how to trust again, I have learned how to love again, though love was never really lost. I have learned that there is still so much to learn and much more to experience.
This new year is full of so much promise, so long as I make the right choices. How will I spend my time? How will I become what I dream?
Each day is the promise of a new start, not just at the beginning of a new year.
I am full of hope and it makes me feel happy.
So much can happen in a year.
What will you do this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment